This is a v1.0 update release of PointFire 2019. It supports SharePoint classic pages as well as Modern ones. If you received an interim release from IceFire support for testing, it must be updated with this release. This release is a major release, with significant functionality changes.
The installation package and documentation are available here.
The next update release is expected in March 2020.
Release Notes – November 13, 2019
Deploying PointFire 2019
It is recommended that you run the installation on the server where Central Administration is located. Once PointFire 2019 is installed on the target server you can deploy the feature by running the PFConfiguration tool:
Start ->PointFire 2019 ->PFConfig
Note: If you experience issues running the configuration tool from the shortcut, you can navigate to the PointFire directory and run PFConfig or one of the installation scripts directly.
- PFConfig.exe – PointFire Deployment Manager
- InstallPointFire.ps1 - to install PointFire using PowerShell.
- UpgradePointFire.ps1 - Upgrade PointFire using PowerShell.
- RemovePointFire.ps1 - To retract the solution using PowerShell
Note: Deploying using the scripts requires additional configuration steps. Please see the install guide for detailed information.
PointFire 2019 also includes an optional app for modern sites.
Updating PointFire 2019
If you are updating an existing PointFire 2019 deployment, launch the PointFire Deployment Manager and follow through the upgrade process, or retract then re-deploy PointFire, or navigate to the installation directory to run the upgrade script.
Also remember to update the PointFire-2019.app in the app catalog and in the individual sites.
Note: If configuration keys in the web.config files have been edited manually after PFConfig initially set them, using PFConfig to update the PointFire may erase or overwrite some of those keys. For safety, note the values of the keys currently in web.config prior to updating.
Upgrading from PointFire 2016
Upgrading from a PointFire 2016 is not yet fully supported. Contact support for availability. The scripts PF2019Migration.ps1, SetWebPartLangSetting.ps1 and CallSetWebPartLangSetting.ps1 are included, but additional work is needed to complete the migration. Please note that Item Language and language variations columns have changed, so any customizations based on them will also have to be revised.
- PF2019Migration script removes language filter webpart from list and library pages, because it is no longer needed on those pages
- PFMUI=REPAIRLISTS added the correct language options to the Item Language columns, but did not properly delete the incorrect ones
- Changed license request code to help ensure correct licenses.
- PointFire blocks the "LIKE" functionality of Posts list of Blog site collection in SharePoint 2019 for the users with "Read" permission
- Webpart Language Setting in modern sometimes doesn't work
- Some terms don't translate if they contain zero-width space character
- Double language menu in classic mode
- Localize "Are you sure you want to make all compatible lists on this site multilingual?"
- "Translate" option is not there in Modern mode
- When copying list item in Translate Item, make the Title unique by adding "[fr]" etc.
- Error message in event log "General (): System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null."
- Error message in event log "Cannot redirect after HTTP headers have been sent."
- Various other minor fixes and enhancements
- Functionality related to machine translation is not fully tested at the moment, the Machine Translation Service in the current version of SharePoint 2019 is still not working (confirmed by Microsoft). If you need translation features, we will provide a free copy of PointFire Power Translator, which works on this version, in the meantime.
- Some ribbon icon text not localized in modern mode
Documentation for PointFire 2019 is available to be downloaded from the following links:
PointFire 2019 Installation Guide
PointFire 2019 Administrators Guide
PointFire 2019 Users Guide:
PointFire 2016 v1.0 to 2019 v1.0 Upgrade Guide:
We recommend that you, or whoever you designate for support, register an account on the support site http://community.icefire.ca/index.php?/Base/UserRegistration/Register . Support can be obtained by clicking on New Ticket on the site after you login or by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org