This is a recommended update release for PointFire 365 for SharePoint Online, part of Office 365.
This release add significant new functionality and corrects a number of issues in version 2.1.0 - 2.1.4.
New and Changed Features
- The file names of the two apps have been changed to make installation simpler. See installation manual for instructions when upgrading from a previous version.
- Added functionality to change the region setting of the user while changing language. This means the user’s regional settings, which control date, number, and currency formatting, can change when the language changes. Where a language has several different regional variants, the variant can be chosen.
- “Online manual (English)” is now more prominent when first installing, before PointFire is first activated. It appears as a button above all the buttons in app page if user has added the app and is coming to the page for the first time. Once they activate the app it will revert to showing the usual manual link on top right corner of the page.
- Added message if user Activates PF365 classic app but PF365 modern app is not installed on the site. Both must be installed.
- Previously when you Activate the app, if you wanted to add/remove all the languages then you needed to check/uncheck all checkboxes one by one. Now added new checkbox Select/Unselect All to make it easier.
- While performing one operation in app page, other buttons will be locked/disabled. For example if you are Activating the app all the other buttons like Deactivate, License, Translate the interface including Activate button itself will be disabled until activation is finished.
- While saving the webpart language in modern pages, new feature shows feedback if user clicks on "Save" button.
- In Manage Variations page, user is now able to see all the items/document in all the folders and sub-folders.
- In Manage Variations page, it will not only set the variations it will also publish the pages so that the changes can be seen by other users.
- In Manage Variations page now you can drag and drop an item that you want to set for a particular language.
- PowerShell scripts are now signed. This will allow them to be run with the default PowerShell execution policy.
- A tenant level license can be set only once in the tenant using a PowerShell command. Then users don’t need to apply the license in each site collection level. App can only write to the site collection license, but will use the tenant level license if the site collection license is missing or expired.
- Various performance improvements
- In the mobile SharePoint app, some PointFire functionality was not working when you switched to PC view.
- In modern view while navigating to a list/library with a custom view, page kept refreshing a few times.
- Modern webpart was not hiding in a page while navigating from modern page to modern page using a navigation menu.
- User interface translation broke after about 200 items.
- For sub menus in structural navigation MUI was not working.
- For external links, url is replaced correctly with its destination language url but clicking on that it was navigating to the original url instead of replaced url.
- Following link to a list view page in navigation menu on modern pages loads unfiltered view first and then it reloads the filtered query.
PointFire makes SharePoint truly multilingual and lets your users collaborate in their language. Two different users going to the same page on the same site will each see it almost entirely in their language, both UI and content, without using Variations. And when used in combination with PointFire 2016, the hybrid cloud is here!
To get your copy, go to http://community.icefire.ca/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/1/pointfire-installation-packages and log in or create an account.
The fully-featured trial version can be downloaded for free and can be used for development and testing, with some pre-sale support.
We thank everyone in many countries who provided feedback on the previous releases for their valuable input.
PointFire 365 v2.2 reproduces the most important functionality of PointFire 2016 in the cloud.